History and role
The Employment Academy is a Grade II listed Edwardian Baroque building which was purchased and renovated by Thames Reach.
Since opening in early 2013, the Employment Academy has been helping people in South London and across the capital back into work. By bringing together a range of partners that are experts in addressing specific barriers into employment, Thames Reach was able to develop a hub of services that effectively support people with skills, training, advice and personalised guidance. As a result, our service users are able to grow their confidence, apply and secure work, and improve their income.
The Employment Academy is housed in the historic Guardian’s Office, a Grade II listed Edwardian building dating back to 1904. The site, at the corner of Havil Street (formerly Workhouse Lane) and Peckham Road, had previously been occupied by Vestry Hall, a grim workhouse, and later, upon its demolition, the Camberwell Infirmary. The present building was built in 1904 for the Poor Law Guardians, who administered welfare services for the parish.
Throughout the 20th century, the building served the local community as a teaching hospital, a psychiatric day hospital and as part of Southwark Town Hall until the closure of the neighbouring council offices prompted its sale to Thames Reach.
Help the Employment Academy get people back into work